Oculus founder Palmer Luckey stated this weekend that the consumer launch of the company's Oculus Rift virtual reality helmet may not happen in 2015 as he previously predicted. However, he did indicate that a delay in the launch is not a bad thing.
Speaking at a panel Saturday during the SXSW Conference in Austin, Texas, Luckey admitted that in a past interview he said something would have to go "horribly wrong" for the Oculus Rift to miss a 2015 consumer launch. According to GameSpot, Luckey has now modifed that stance:
"I did say that before we made a lot of changes to our roadmap and we've expanded a lot of the ambition we had around the product and what we wanted to do," Luckey said. "Us partnering with Facebook allowed us a lot of things that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise like hire 300 people to be working on getting the Rift out as quickly as possible at the level we want it.
"I can't comment on the date one way or another in either direction but I can say that nothing is going horribly wrong. Everything is going horribly right."
Oculus has some competition in the VR space, as HTC plans to launch its HTC Vive VR headset sometime before the end of 2015. Sony has also announced that Project Morpheus, its VR headset for the PlayStation 4 game console, will launch in the first half of 2016.