Announced earlier this year, Sony's cloud-based PlayStation Vue TV service is now rolling out on an invite-only basis on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. The service will get a phased rollout starting in New York followed later by Chicago, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles, and will also be making its way to the iPad and other non-Sony devices after launch. Set to go commercial in the first quarter of 2015, the web-based will offer cord cutters access to live TV and on-demand content, with several content partners already on-board. At launch, PlayStation Vue will offer 75 channels from major networks like CBS, Discovery Communications, Fox, NBCUniversal, Scripps Networks Interactive and Viacom.
Here is a list of all the channels that will be available for consumers at launch:
- CBS – At launch, PlayStation Vue will offer the live linear signal from CBS Television Network's owned-and-operated TV stations in select leading markets in addition to on-demand prime-time programming.
- Discovery Communications – Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Family Channel and 11 more brands.
- Fox – Fox Networks Group's portfolio of national entertainment programming services, including - FX, FXX, FXM, National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo WILD. Additionally FOX Sports' national and regional programming services - FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, BTN, Fox's regional sports networks, including YES Network and Prime Ticket. The agreement also covers Fox's owned and operated television stations.
- NBCUniversal – All local offerings from NBC, Telemundo and regional sports networks as well as Bravo, CNBC, E!, NBCSN, Oxygen, Sprout, Syfy, USA Network and more.
- Scripps Networks Interactive – HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network and Cooking Channel.
- Viacom – BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, PALLADIA, Spike, VH1 and more.
Sony mentions that additional content partners will be added in the future. Pricing details weren't revealed yet, with Sony only stating that PlaySation Vue will be offered "on a month-to-month basis without any penalty or customer service hassles for cancellation."
Source: PRNewsWire (Sony); Via: USA Today